Tuesday, March 11, 2008

worse than crack

Youtube is worse than crack. At least there are rehab centers to help you with a crack addiction. Youtube will just slowly eat your life away until all you have are distant memories of your family, while waiting for Chris Crocker's new post.

I've been playing Portal at home (part of the Orange Box for xbox) and have found numerous fan videos about the game and its quirky characters. I found this video that follows a day in the life of a gun turret. I realize that this has nothing to do with the library, but it was fun nonetheless. Oops. I guess that I didn't quite listen to this earlier. Sorry. it's gone now. Phew!

As for applications in the library, I believe that youtube could be used as a fairly powerful training tool. I'm not sure how long a video can be, but say in 10-15 minute segments one could put together a sort of "Welcome to FVRL, and here's a brief overview of what to expect" video. It may save quite a bit of time in the long run. I'm not saying to replace the system we have now, but in addition to it.

Sam's one minute critic is a good example of how we can use youtube in the library. I wonder if our performers would allow us to record their shows during summer reading and post them...

No comments: